Monday, February 23, 2009

Update from Haiti - repost

I haven’t done this in a long while, so I thought I’d share with you a few (or one anecdote) from Haiti.

Its hot here, and I know that you snowbirds would really appreciate that at this time, but I’m thinking that cooler temperatures back home would be more enjoyable to me at least. We had a little break – where at least it would cool off at night – but I’ve noticed the temperature steadily climbing and I’m not looking forward at all to where it’s going. We are approaching rainy season and I will appreciate any cloud/rain that we get during the day. Unfortunately the way it works here is sunny days – rain at night. I know just what you snowbirds would be looking for.



Today I tipped the cement mixer over while towing it behind my truck. I have done that once before in the past – so I know that its top heavy and there are some holes and bumps that I truly worry about. You guessed it – where it happened – never been concerned there. So, the mixer is laying on its side in the street. Lots of room to go around, but the road was reduced to just one lane and traffic was coming in all directions – I was blocking one lane of the exit from an intersection that had three roads meeting.

I had lots of curious lookers walking by, several offered their advice, but no one offered to help upright it. No problem, thankfully I was only a block away from the site. So, I walked up to the site and asked for help. Oops they had just started break, so had to wait until break was over. I don`t ever remember that being my work ethic, but that is the way it is here. Well, about 15 minutes later 3 or 4 guys walk down from the site to help me upright the mixer. By that time, the oil had run out of the motor. I also had time to inspect the damage and there was some. So, the plan at that point was get it up and get it home.

Okay, now as an aside let me give you a little info that came abundantly to light during this whole episode. As I said, I was blocking on lane, so traffic had to wait to pass if traffic was coming in the other direction. Actually there is a real art of not waiting – squeezing into the hole until the traffic can no longer make it through – they usually, not always stop to let you go. Face to face in the one remaining lane does not resolve things very well – sometimes you get a Texas showdown until someone finally agrees to back down.

First I need to tell you that it is very common practice to just stop – anywhere convenient for you and without regard for drivers around you. You actually act surprised and you don`t move too quickly if someone comes up behind you and expects you to move. What... I was here first seems to be the logic. So, don`t bother me, just wait – till I`m done.

As I think I relayed in an earlier message, they use the horn hear a lot in Haiti. I feel that I`m very privileged because the honks that I get are always the nice ones. Now this one person pulled up and was honking with what seemed like lots of emotion – the movement of the mouth kinda gave it away, but her windows were up so I couldn’t hear what the driver was saying. I don`t think that I can categorize this honking incident for sure – but, I`m thinking it might not be a nice one. No, the person in the car did not offer to help upright it. Just honked and a few gestures. Now I`m standing there thinking – I`m just doing the Haiti thing – be patient right! You can still get past, just need to work with the traffic coming the other way. The driver was adamant that I should move – I was helpless to do so at that time – but nevertheless I was impacting their world from their perspective and I should fix that.

This I feel is a generally engrained attitude here in Haiti – one of self first. In fact, you know as I write this, its probably not all that surprising – might get much the same reaction in Canada as well. Will one of you please do a little test for me in Canada – rent a mixer and tip it over on a two lane road – see how long it takes for the reaction that I got. Perhaps you’ll be pleasantly surprised and get help first.

I now have the mixer apart in the yard. It is easily repairable – but I`m seeing that the taper bearings that support the drum are not in good shape at all and the grease is full of sand and whatnot. I likely cannot get the parts here easily or quickly – so my guess is that I`ll hopefully put it back together tomorrow using the parts that I have and fresh grease and order the parts over the internet or with another team and replace them when they come in. 8weeks is not uncommon from the time you order until they clear customs in Haiti.

I already knew the bearings were loose and figured that it was something that would eventually need my attention. Just wasn`t planning on it today though.

I guess that life is just like that and so are projects.

For those at IBM, it would be good to hear from you as to how the unit is doing and the projects. There were many changes occurring when I left. For the others, it is always good to here from you. I am planning on sending out an update on the project shortly.

I sent one out in December, but not to everyone, because I planned to post it on the Web. Hey why make something small when you can make it big – never got it on the web – had to take 3 steps backward to get going and never got back to start on that particular plan anyway. Going gangbusters on the project and its moving in the right direction – up that is. We started with down (a fair bit) to establish our footings and foundation but definitely on the upswing now.

Oh yeah, bought a motorcycle – off road – 200cc Chinese bike. Go out almost every weekend for a few hours on Saturday with a few of the guys. What a way to really see Haiti. Driving around town on a bike is really crazy – the rules totally change – some for the good (i guess) but maybe not all of them. Like driving a car you need to be a little bit aggressive – and the holes are usually much bigger (relatively speaking) when you’re on a bike. However that is offset by the lack of any protection on a bike – so, you weigh the risks, make decisions and go (or not). Glad when I get out of the traffic though – it’s a little more relaxing off road – well not all of it, some of it is challenging. Only dumped the bike once. Oh, that’s on road, guess there are a couple more off road.

Still living and breathing. Just trying to stay one step ahead of the pack – more or less managing to do that. But hadn’t planned on the work that I’ve got cut out for tomorrow.

That’s all for now.

No comments: