Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas came early

Well, Christmas came early in Haiti. 

Been kinda roughing it.  I think back many times just how well equipped I was the first time here - very disruptive to pull up roots and come back again - there are so many things that just make it so much easier/convenient.  I had some of these conveniences, but I don't any more.  If you hear of a good garage sale in Haiti, please let me know.  I'm not set up exactly as I would like and there are limited options to change that.  So, I finally made a few changes - and for the better I might add.  Still wanta make a couple more - and looking for the chance to do so. 

If you have ever done the weekend camping thing, then you will understand making do.  However, when the weekend turns into several weeks and the conditions take a turn for the worse - there eventually comes a point were you decide to make a few changes. 

The break from the site finally gave me the opportunity to make a few changes.  Number one was addressing hydro - even if only on a temporary basis.  So, Monday I bought Christmas present number one - a UPS for my computer.  It gives me about 5 hrs running time when all other sources of hydro have gone caput.  Takes about two - three hours to recharge.  How convenient to have a little electricity when you want.  I've cooked dinner a few times in the dark - I mean in the dark - my cell phone display hardly counts as a light.  So, present number two - bought some kerosene for my lamp.  Awesome.  I'm still looking for a small desk lamp that I can plug into my UPS.  I love to make a stir fry where I chop up onions, fresh garlic and ginger into it.  However, our kitchen is equiped with a knife where the handle extends below the blade - not a good chopping knife.  So, present number three - found a $2 knife where the blade is bigger and allows the full edge of the blade to be on the chopping board while the handle is still in the air - awesome chopping knife.  My one cup coffee filter/maker is kinda a jerry rigged thing - doesn't work great, but works even worse on a small cup.  So, present number four - bought some mugs.  Holds a cup if you know what I mean and has a big broad rim on the top.  Awesome, now I can get some of the coffe in the cup.

I also received my Hatian drivers licence.  I applied for both auto and motorcycle and I'm told that its good for both.  But mine is a little different. Definitely an auto licence, but not so sure about the motorcycle.  So I still need to check a couple of things.  Hate to have the argument on my bike, stopped by the police - that yep I'm legit - while they are saying no your not.  Thought that was going to be my Christmas present - but all the conveniences above far outweight the privilege of my motorcycle.  Planning soon to get a day off for R&R so the motorcycle licence is now at the top.

No comments: