Saturday, February 20, 2010

Balloon

Well, folks be forwarned that this article may be controversial. I have written about many different things on my blog.  I never thought that this would be one of the subjects.  But why not.  I had my balloon pricked tonight - so to speak.


So, thought to myself - I wonder.... so I went to my favorite reference source - the "public library" aka the internet.  And this is what I found out - the use of high doses of vitamin C is controversial!

In my family its been a generational thing - and yes, I've passed it on down to my own sons.  I am not a regular user of vitamin C - just a high dose user when ever I would feel the effects of a cold coming on.  It sure worked for me, or at least it used to.  Told tonight that it's likely just a placebo effect - ouch. 

Depending on what sites you visit - this is what you might find out:

  • at quackwatch.org - you will find out after a long dissertation on "scientific principles and biases" that through numerous studies and experiments, it was determined that high doses of vitamin C were ineffective.  However, I am wondering - just solely based on the url - if I can trust this site.
  • Chris Gupta says that the vitamin C fanatics were right all along.  Chris, now that's a name you can trust!  I didn't read the article though - the headline proved it for me.
  • And, at the vitamin C foundation - they tell us not to forget to take high doses of vitamin C during the winter. Yes, that's all winter long!  I'm inclined to go with this one - after all it agrees with me and its a foundation and so its gotta be right.
  • I have also learned that the studies used to establish the RDA were flawed.  The RDA is way to low and should be much higher.  If we would only increase or daily intake it would reduce several other afflictions.
Well, in my case, I have not been a regular user of vitamin C - just a high dosage user when I feel the onset of a cold.  So, really only points 1 and 3 above might apply to my particular case. 

Thinking back, I do recall one other cure from my childhood that certainly worked.  We had this awful home made concoction that, as I recall, included brown sugar and garlic.  Secret family recipe passed down through many generations (but stopped at mine).  I just remember how horrible it was.  Absolutely terrible.  I know that it worked - I also know how it worked - it scared the cold right out of us - or at least the symptoms when we were at home. 

Isn't there a cough syrup that advertises that it tastes awful but it works.  I am left wondering exactly how it works. 

So, back to vitamin C.  Although I have a very reputable and trusted source that votes for the placebo effect, I just can't accept that right now.  I am sticking with a slightly modified Vitamin C Foundation recommendation - my intake is when needed, not all winter long.  Its worked for me in the past and afterall you gotta go with the foundation. 

By the way great progress at the worksite - likely do a post on this sometime next week.  Just need to get you one more picture so that you can really appreciate.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think your mum was giving you sauce for spareribs! Hey, if it works...:)

Bob said...

It does sound like that doesn't it. But trust me it wasn't. I love BBQ sauce with lots of garlic.

I'll see if I can dig up the recipe from my clan and give a few more of the ingredients.