Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Tremors

You have likely already heard that we've had new tremors here in Haiti - last night and the night before.


I did not feel the one on Sunday night, nor did it wake me up.  However my response was much different last night.  The first one last night was about 1:30 in the morning and the second one was about 20 minutes later.  I popped out of bed very quickly on the first and was able to fully appreciate the second.  They were short - but time seems to really slow down so that we can really appreciate the moment.

I was asked in the morning how strong I thought the earthquake was.  I compared it to the others and estimated between 4.5 and 5.0 and then revised my estimate to 4.7.  This was not a skill I had planned to develop while in Haiti.  But unfortunately I seem to have enough experience now to have some degree of accuracy. 

I understand that a few buildings toppled from Sunday nights tremor and I would expect that the same might be true of last nights tremors as well.  Looking at some of the buildings that you see still standing, you can understand that it wouldn't take very much at all to make them come down and I guess these tremors are enough to do exactly that.

At the worksite, I've had a few false alarms over the last couple of weeks.  Sometimes I get an uneasy feeling if I am sitting on a block wall along the edge of the building - so I move.  Sometimes its a loud bang or vibrations that go through the building from someone dropping a heavy block or scaffold on the floor.

Last night was basically the same.  The tremors were strong but quick - you get over them.  After the tremors, I layed in bed for a while - but apparently I did eventually go back to sleep, because  I do remember waking up in the morning.  There was a lot of disturbances outside after the tremors - a lot of chatter among the people who are sleeping outdoors, dogs were restless etc.

Of course as I am writing this, I am listening to praise and worship coming from the yard next door.  There is a bunch of kids from the church staying there and they have praise and worship each night and each morning. 
 
5 am - is not my typical time to get up in Canada - it still comes early for me.  So guess I'll keep this post short.  I'll have the pics tomorrow for Windows Part 2.  Don't forget your homework was to look for the pattern in the block.

No comments: