Saturday, February 27, 2010

Sign of the times

Sometimes I just sit down and write a new post for my blog, sometimes I need to think about it for a while.  I have had a couple of posts on the back of my mind, but they are not forthcoming.  So this one will have to do.


For picture readers (like me) sorry no pics today.

My day started very early this morning - was up before 1 a.m. but I'll say my day started at 1.  Debated a bit about going  back to bed before I finally made a coffee and got things going.  Got my books up to date, my payroll.  Did some planning and scheduling.  Planning on mixing things up a bit at the work site next week.

I was out this morning and did my usual Saturday morning chores.  Bought a loaf of bread at Epi D'Or, some onions and tangerines at a local market.  I also went back to the Kubota dealer this morning and picked up the fuel filter - finally they had it. 

On Friday (yesterday), I went to Epi D'Or for lunch.  Had my favorite sub sandwich - actually had to order it - its not automatic any more (as per early post) - so I've been a little less frequent at Epi D'Or.  Also from my earlier post, you'll know that its actually cheaper to eat out than it is to prepare my own lunch - at least that's my claim.  I've also just found out that I'm susceptible to the placebo effect - so you probably can't really trust for sure anything that I write.  The other thing that I've noticed at the supermarket is that the larger size is often more expensive per unit than the smaller package size.  Go figure.

When I was eating lunch I noticed - well actually several different people and organizations - but one happened to stand out.  It just kinda clicked to me as a sign of the times.  Epi D'Or is very popular and often frequented by many different people and we see lots of military there from all nations in full gear and carrying big guns and/or sidearms.

Today I noticed in particular the Salvation Army Emergency Response Team.  Now realize this could be about any organization - I am not singling them out - they just happened to be the organization of my observation.  I actually noticed them when they were on their way out - there was calmness, no panic, no urgency.  They were carrying what I expect were much needed supplies - three boxes the size of cake boxes.  I am guessing cakes or maybe pastries inside.

Now I could have picked many different situations as the sign of the time - thought of doing the top 10 signs.  However this one somehow seemed particularly indicative of the pulse of the city.  I believe that we are in a new state of normal.  Things are not the same, and in fact, in some ways likely much better for the majority of the people - at least for the time being and the foreseeable future.  It is probably easier right now for the majority of people to get the basics - food and water.  Not withstanding that many have lost their homes and their jobs, and friends and family members. 

The other observation that I have is regarding tents.  They are still popping up everywhere and now it seems we are upgrading.  The supply of tents may be dwindling - although there are an incredible number of tents around the city.  There are also many tarps and bed sheet constructed roofs and walls.  These are held up by anything that can possibly work - often a neighbors pole is shared.  One day last week at the site, I noticed that everything has been cut down on the property next to us.  There were many small trees and plants - anything including stalky plants that might be able to make a pole.  Initially I had thought that it was being used as fuel for cooking - but then I realized that they were commonly 4,5 or 6 ft long.  I have since noticed in many many other places people carrying similar poles. 

While the tenting is obviously needed in many cases, there are also a large number of people who will not return into their houses - eventhough their houses suffered little or no damage.  The recent tremors only add to that fear.  Right now space is  becoming a premium and while tents do offer a better shelter - they also take up a lot more space.

I am thinking that shelter is likely the biggest concern for most right now. The rainy season is upon us.  We have had some rain and the majority of the shelters are not waterproof.  The locations used are any place at all where a makeshift shelter can be erected and are far from ideal locations.  With rain, they will turn to mud and/or erode. 

I sleep indoor, but quite honestly, I can't say that I always sleep that well.  Our buildings where we live have some cracks and these have become a little bit more noticeable since the recent tremors. Now I am not fearful of these - I think they are well within acceptable tolerances - I wouldn't be indoors if I felt that there was an unacceptable risk.  Our home has withstood all the tremors and is in remarkable shape - not perfect - but remarkable.  You need to take the building style into consideration in assessing the damage.  The strength in the building structure varies depending on the style of construction.  Most homes are confined masonry and have their own unique characteristics.  The good news is that even with relatively poor workmanship they survive well.  Much of downtown that collapsed are multiple floors reinforced concrete - columns and beams - this style does not stand up particularly well when insufficiently designed combined with poor workmanship. 

I must apologize for my writing style - we will call it conversational.  I am just writing as I go and I realize there are lots of tangents.  Thanks for putting up with me, hopefully you find some of this useful.

I realize that there are a large number of people in Canada that are praying for the needs and the people of Haiti.  And especially for our safety.  We truly appreciate your prayer support and we seek the guidance and direction of our Lord and Savour in our lives daily.

2 comments:

Tony said...

Bob, you don't need to apologize for anything, least of all your most entertaining and literate writing style.
Have just updated my precis of your blog at http://www.igs.net/~tonyc/bob.html
BTW, you didn't mention the 3 days prayer and fasting starting 12 Feb (see YouTube on my page).

Bob said...

Hi Tony, glad to hear that you like my posts. Thanks for helping to spread them along.

I think my writing style might be a bit hard to appreciate - glad to hear that you can see the smiles and chuckles that are between the lines - sometimes - the trick is to know which lines.

I had a "Green Eggs and Ham" post that I was/am pondering. That was before the electricity utility came back online. Poor refrigeration - need I say more.

Pastor Michel's church here did the three days of fasting and prayer. They had services each day. From what I've seen the turnout was remarkable at other local churches as well. Saw many that were bursting at the doors over the three days.

I have had my fingers on too many issues to really make the time to fully participate. When I'm not working at the site nor planning for the site (almost always), I am doing necessary maintenance at Pastor Michel's house/ministry. Trust me, I am only just hitting the highlights - but without hydro, its pretty key to keep the generator running (and the water pumping).