Friday, February 12, 2010

Pics

While I was out today, got a few pics that I thought I'd share.  Perhaps tomorrow, I'll get some more.


During the week, I travel to and from the worksite - a short route, not very far, and I do not go onto any of the major roads - kinda nice because it does avoid much of the morning traffic.  However, at the same time, I am kinda isolated - you see some damage in our immediate area that is from the earthquake - but not the devastation that has occurred in many other areas.  Focused on the worksite all the time, it is easy during the week to forget about those around us.

We do have a new normal - this includes tenting and makeshift shelters, singing and praying are common, and now we are seeing food distribution as becoming a much more common site as well.  Typically food distribution will be busy with people - some sort of military presence for security and control - and people walking carrying sacs of rice.  I was somewhat surprised when I first saw this - I was thinking that it would be dispersed in much smaller quantities and to many more people - however that doesn't seem to be the way it happens.  The co-ordination of the distribution requires a lot of effort, so it actually makes sense to give out larger quantities and do so less often. 

Here is a pic of people just coming from one distribution point.  I saw hundreds of people coming in this manner carrying bags of rice - as the number of people dwindled - I then saw the military vehicles leaving from the point of distribution.

I also know of smaller scale distribution which is handled more discretely where small amounts of food are being hand delivered to people within their communities.  This can be done discretely without drawing a lot of attention. 

The makeshift shelters that I've talked about are all over the city.  Any empty space has been changed into "housing" and makeshift shelters as people have either lost their homes or are afraid to go back indoors.  The makeshift shelters are exactly that - they are normally made from sheets and sometimes tarps that are tied up using bits of cord and twine and poles that are usually branches or sometimes boards.  These shelters are being replaced with tents - many tents have been donated and are replacing the makeshift shelters.  The rotary club is one organization that is placing a very large number of tents thoughout the city.  I first saw them at a hospital being distributed through Shelter Box, but I now see them being distributed through a number of aid organizations.


And one final picture.  As I have said, many buildings have either partially or completely collapsed as a result of the earthquake.  Equipment such as a High Hoe is used to go through the remains and recover bodies.  I have talked about the demolition of the building as this happens.  Thought I'd show you a picture of what is left when the High Hoe is done.
The brownish mass that you see in the very middle of the picture is rebar from the building that has been stripped out of the concrete as the high goes through the building bit by bit.  As you can see from the rubble around the rebar, not much is left.

I also have a picture of the building next door to the one that has been turned into rubble.  The top two floors collapsed completely, but the main floor seems to be still standing.  I do not know why this building was not also demolished at the same time, perhaps there was no need to recover bodies from this building.

Haitians can be very opportunistic - especially in the city.  The competition is high and any little edge can make a difference.   I guarantee you that there are Haitains who are taking advantage of this situation - they will get what they can - sometimes whether they need it or not - they will still take advantage of the opportunity for free aid/free assistance.  You will no doubt see or here of aid freely given and in turn this is now being sold in the markets - you will find tarps, tents, and food for sale by locals in the markets.   Please don't let this deter you and your own personal support for the need and the needy of this country.  Most importantly - do not let it impact you - it is not yours to judge and it is not yours to own.

No comments: