Saturday, March 13, 2010

A few more observations

Went out today for a motorcycle ride with Dr Ed.  We went up the mountain - stopped for lunch at the Baptist Mission.

We were thinking of doing a little off road touring around of the mountains while we were up there, but by the time we finished lunch, it was starting to look like rain so we came back down into the city.  We were going to go out and play in the river bed or out past Croix de Bouquet.  However as we were going the traffic was really snarled and we hadn't even reached the worst yet - so we decided to call it off.  It was a nice ride.  A little weaving in traffic (okay a lot), but by Haitian standards an uneventful ride - which is a good thing on a bike.  Much cooler up the mountain which was in itself very pleasant.

I am sitting here in the heat (I know no sympathy) - sweating and drinking lots of water.  To make up for it though, I have praise and worship coming in over the wall right now as I write.    Now that's nice.

It seems that I put aside the actual situation here - its become a new norm - most things are back to "normal".  You can readily get gas, water and food.  The house has a few small cracks that weren't there before and I still jump up or move away from the outside walls sometimes at the site.

Sometimes, all of a sudden you realize what your are looking at - I noticed today that the side of the mountain had fallen in one spot - and we passed the sand pit were many trucks were buried during the quake when again a large section of the side of the mountain gave away.  In the city, I was looking at buildings either turned in rubble or still in the original post quake devastated condition.  One place you look out over a ravine with small ravine houses tiered on top of each other - there are large sections that have been turned to rubble by the quake. This site is unfortunately becoming normal.

Did a little research again today.  Topic today is concrete building - the current design for floor uses concrete block as infill between the small supporting floor beams - there has got to be a better way - I have read about a few options - these include lightweight concrete using lighter aggregate, recycled plastics and foam.  Of course another option might be to leave the void void. 

As I have said before - I think that the majority of Haitians in the city here are likely better off than before the earthquake.  I have commonly seen food distributions where whole bags of rice are being given out.  The idea is to give more less often which should presumably help with crowds and controls.  I think that it ends up with Haitians getting more food.  I also saw the boys at the site this week with a kind of ration - a self contain food pouch with a chemical heating unit built in.  The food was hot - too hot to touch.  Now these are both things that you would not have seen before the quake.  If people want it, there is ample supplies of food that are still being given for free.  Dr Ed confirms that the same is the case in the very large (50,000 plus) tent camp where he provides a clinic - a good supply of food is available.  Some of the statisics to support my claims of being better off are the 80% unemployment before the quake; the $2 USD per day average wage.  A typical Haitian the we now seeing carrying a bag of rice - and sometimes sitting on two or three bags - would likely never have a full bag of rice in a year before the quake - subsistence living - never having a meal ahead is common place.

Up the mountain - I think is a different story.  These people and their way of living was not directly impacted by the quake - they are still living very much the same subsistence lifestyle that the lived before the quake.  I did not see the aid organization up the mountain - except possibly to visit the mission for their own pleasure as many teams do.  There is an older christian wormen that sits and sells some fruits at the Baptist Mission.  She has been there as long as I can remember.  She is a "friend" of Dr Ed - she looked after our helmets and watched our bikes for us while we were at the mission.  Dr Ed tipped her well as he always does and she is very appreciative of this.  The woman has suffered losses - family that were killed in the quake.  My sister is sending prayer quilts due to arrive with a team next week and this woman will be recipient number two.

Well an atypical day for me.  I've enjoyed my day, enjoyed my ride.  Did a little research, thought about work and I guess that preparing the payroll is likely next on my agenda.  


1 comment:

Laurie-Ann Copple said...

Hi Bob
I am glad that things are steadily improving... although I know that there is a lot more work to be done in Haiti. You are definitely in the right place with lots of opportunity! Please keep your blog going. We continue to pray for you as we are off to our own mission in Sierra Leone in a few weeks.

Blessings from Laurie-Ann