Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Quick update from Haiti

I haven't issued an update in a bit so thought I'd do a quick one tonight.
 
My internet connection is down, so I am starting this entry offline.  Not sure if or when it might make it online. 
I have been up between 3 and 4 a.m. the last 3 or 4 days and gone to bed lateish at night - at least for me here in Haiti.  I am a bit tired so likely this entry will not be too long and will also wander a bit.



We just poured the circular staircase from the first to the second floor yesterday (Monday).  It is awesome.  Had a great team here from the Fergus area, who among other great accomplishments, have become our staircase kings.  (pun intended Roy)  Great team, great camaraderie.  Enjoyed their visit and of course it is sad to see them go.  Also the first “official” team to come since the earthquake – of course this team was planned from a year ago.
  
After a very nice time with the team this morning and a quick lunch, we took the team to the airport to catch their flight and also picked up another team just arriving.  It is always sad when a team leaves, and I am not a great saying goodbye person.   The airport is not fully operational and what was a zoo has turned even worse.  Anyway we made it through both departures and arrivals – and yes – I have to admit that I tipped the redcaps at the airport for the team arriving.  I guess that I made quite a show with the redcaps when I picked up the team from Fergus a week ago – they kinda kept their distance for the next 3 or 4 days and you should have seen the drop off.  At my pickup point today, I basically stopped in the middle of the road – blocked the already jammed traffic – if you can do that – and picked them up right there.  I have to admit that I actually used the readcaps to my advantage today – I am sure the first time ever – so I gave them a tip.  This might become my new pattern – one that I am sure the redcaps will enjoy, if adopted.    If not, I’ll probably have to paint the truck and grow a beard or color my hair green or something.  So, don't be surprised if I tell you look for the guy with the green hair when you arrive next time. 

When we got home, the team settled and then we went off to the site to discuss the plumbing requirements – we’ve had some communication with them already, so really just trying to nail down some details.  Of course the Nissan broke down again – overheated – I think it’s the rad hose that’s the problem.  So, we left the site to go and meet Louise.  When I got home after that, twirled a few kids on the street in front of the gate along with a few high fives - actually not very high when the recipient is about 2 1/2 feet tall - and now here I am.  Of course there are a couple dozen other things to throw in – like the UN block aid of our traffic route causing a big delay and traffic jams – just so that they could get their vehicles through the intersection faster - they had the guns so I didn’t complain to loudly – but one Haitian walked up through the traffic giving directions to everyone and was seriously considering his approach to the UN personnel before finally backing down. 

Asnique is a great cook and I ate very very well while the team was here - too well.    Not sure that I can handle back to back teams – so taking the night off for sure and will likely get back to my regular - what some would say bland - diet of oatmeal and such stuff.  Learned this morning from the team that the cereal boxes were also on the menu.  Never had them before, but excellent choice of colors and every bit as nutritious.  Great timing – was just called for dinner – maybe I’ll go after all.  ......  I’m back and I managed to cut back on the quantity – perhaps I’ll try again tomorrow night. 

Well, I am tired, will see if I can post this one and then turn in.  Same schedule this week at the site as last – will have my work in front of me to stay ahead of the plumbing team – I’m actually starting from behind so I’ll have a little catch-up to do first.

I was browsing some of my pictures tonight and there are tons – hopefully I managed to even get a few that are good enough to post. 

Hopefully I’ll get a chance to post a few pics of the building.  The painting accomplished by the team is great and it continues tomorrow with Tami and some of the kids from the church.  Pastor Michel plans on picking up the real color tomorrow - so perhaps we'll see lots of color going on this week as well.  I’ll be getting ready for our regular work team to return while at the same time preparing for the plumbing to move ahead. 

Also want to post the new circular staircase from the 1st to the 2nd floor.  But may wait until I strip the forms in a week or so.


No comments: